Norovirus confirmed culprit in foodborne illness at Mexican eatery

by Symptom Advice on April 8, 2012

The Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health, confirmed Friday that 107 people were sickened by Norovirus, a foodborne illness, at Cebolla’s Mexican Grill, 5930 W. Jefferson Blvd.

John Silcox, public information specialist for the health department, said the outbreak is a type of viral gastroenteritis.

“When you hear about cruise ship sickness, that’s usually what it is,” Silcox said.

The situation at Cebolla’s was believed to have developed March 25. Symptoms of the virus – nausea, stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea – begin 24-48 hours after exposure. Silcox said Cebolla’s management has continued to cooperate through the investigation.

Silcox said the virus is passed by an infected person who handles food after using the bathroom and failing to properly wash hands. The virus – often found in hospitals, nursing homes, cruise ships and schools – is one of the most common foodborne viruses in the United States. an outbreak this time of year is not unusual, Silcox said.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: